We are glad to invite you to an unusual cycling tour for librarians and library lovers “Cycling for libraries – Baltic Star” on June 14-20, 2014! With this local event we are supporting and working together with the “Cycling for libraries international” and its objective of getting libraries more recognition and attention in their work to support intellectual equality in society (www.cyclingforlibraries.org).
Cycling for libraries is a professional event for all people working with libraries – in addition to all library lovers, of course. So naturally the content is about libraries, and librarianship, and all things related to them.
“Baltic Star” interview on Belarussian TV channel.
On the 14th of June 4 groups of librarians and library lovers will start from 4 cities – Kaliningrad (Russia), Minsk (Belarus), Plunge (Lithuania) and Preili (Latvia) – and will head out to Kaunas (Lithuania) where all groups will meet on June 19th and hold two-days unconference.
On the way we will visit local libraries, meet with local colleagues and authorities, do workshops, debate, cooperate, laugh and of course cycle.
At the unconference in Kaunas all groups can present their photo and video reports about their five-days trips, specify and discuss the major library issues and problems that have been identified by them as the most important for the countries of their cycling tours.
You are welcome to choose the route you like better!
- number of participants of each group – 20 (the registration will be announced later)
- number of km for each group – approx 300 km
- number of cycling days – 5
- number of unconference days in Kaunas – 2
- cost of the registration fee is 100 EUR – the bill will be sent to you personally after you have been registered
- registration – is open from April 1 to May 14
- topics – each group will have its special main topic of the tour
The main themes of the routes are
- “Library collections development in digital age” (Minsk-Kaunas)
- “Modern library as a multifunctional space” (Kaliningrad-Kaunas)
- “Library today – myth vs reality” (Plunge-Kaunas)
- “Children – library users now and in future” (Preili-Kaunas)
- Minsk-Zaslauje-Maladziecna-Smarhon-Asmiany-Vilnius-Trakai-Prienai-Birstonas-Garliava-Kaunas (approx 350 km)
- Kaliningrad-Gvardeysk-Chernyakhovsk-Gusev-Kybartai-Vilkaviskis-Marijampole-Garliava-Kaunas (approx 300 km)
- Plunge-Varniai-Kelme-Raseiniai-Ariogala-Kedainiai-Domeikava -Kaunas (approx 300 km)
- Preili-Daugavpils-Zarasai-Utena-Ukmerge-Jonava-Kaunas (approx 300 km)
- Lithuania – Alma Maseviciene (email@example.com) / Lithuanian Librarians Association
- Latvia – Antra Vasilevska (firstname.lastname@example.org), Ilze Marga (email@example.com) / Latvian Librarians Association (New Professionals Section)
- Belarus – Nastassia Zharskaya (firstname.lastname@example.org) / Belarusian Library Association
- Russia – Tanya Tupota ( email@example.com) / Kaliningrad Centralized Library System