Passion for libraries — Voice for libraries
INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR LIBRARY ADVOCACY
Being a wild project for three years, it was time to take a step forward towards more organized yet open community and cooperation. This enables the use of communality more widely and effectively in library projects and campaigns. The association was founded in Helsinki in 2013 and registered in 2014. Meet the board!
Our mission is to advocate libraries and strengthen and develop international collaboration between librarians and libraries worldwide. Especially we are fond of international volunteer based user-oriented collaboration! Libraries are useless without customers. The advocacy work will be campaigns — and mostly in open-air!
The aim of the association is to
- Advocate libraries and support libraries’ role in society
- Strengthen and develop international collaboration between librarians and further collaboration between libraries and library users in developing library services
- commit to the open movement and sharing of knowledge
We are building creative library campaigns and library advocacy together with library professionals worldwide. We are committed to the open movement and sharing of knowledge.
How do we work:
The association has a focus on campaigning for libraries with the help of library community worldwide. The association works to bring the professionals together with all library lovers and to create a joint support group for libraries and their services. We
- organize, carry out and take part in campaigns
- organize events, meetings, training courses etc.
- provide material for campaigns that support libraries and their activities
- provide consultancy
- take initiatives and statements
- work with similar associations and organizations and exchange information and advice with them
We wish to encourage the cooperation between librarians and library users and that’s why we have open membership policy. In addition to librarians, we heartily welcome also library users as members.